Our Collection Practice has been serving clients for more than 20 years and includes a diverse business array such as credit unions, financial institutions, municipalities, schools and small businesses, as well as individual collection cases. Particular types of debt that we routinely collect include:
- Building & Parking Violations
- Credit Cards
- Student Loans
- Copyright Infringement
- Bankruptcy (Creditor Protection)
- Contract Defaults
Typically, actvities at collection agencies center on attempts to locate debtors and to collect debts solely by direct contact with debtors. Written notices and telephone calls are the methods most commonly utilized by collection agencies. All activites (both pre-and post litigation) must be performed in compliance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, which is structured to protect consumers against debt collection abuses.
We have found that the majority of debtors do not respond to traditional methods--legal action is usually required. As a result we have developed a targeted, proven approach:
- A series of Demand Letters (Written Notices) are sent to the debtor in scheduled time frames. We do not make harrassing telephone calls. This step may be eliminated if the client has already attempted to contact the debtor and ready to proceed with legal activity (as is often the case);
- Extensive, state-of-the-art research is performed, including location verification, credit checking and skip tracing activities in order to advise the client as to the feasibility of the success of legal action; the case is then discussed with the client;
- Preparation of all legal documents leading to the obtaining of a judgment, which is an enforceable vehicle to be used to facilitate the actual collection of assets;
- Post-Judgment asset searches performed at defined intervals, restraint and seizure of assets to enforce the Judgment;
- Establishment of payment plans, follow-ups and related tracking;
- Income Garnishments and Property Executions and related reporting and coordination with enforcement officers and employers;
- Ongoing compliance with all requirements of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act;
- Client updates regarding ongoing activity via scheduled remittance and status reports. Costs are outlined in advance. It should be noted that we have extensive reporting capabilities which are often useful to clients for management reporting purposes.
The Law Office of Anthony J. Maiocchi specializes in obtaining and enforcing judgments. What defines us is our ability to collect the judgment once rendered. The key to our success is using the power of the judgment as a tool to enable research, establish liens, and as a result, to collect assets -- our ultimate goal is recovery of the debt. Our staff members are highly qualified in all areas of judgment enforcement and our research techniques have proven to show significant results.
While not every debt is collectible, we are extremely proud of our success: our recovery rates range from 25% to 60% of amounts placed, which significantly exceeds the industry standard of 20%.
We are members of the Columbia Law List and the Commercial Law League of America.
If you have uncollectible debts in excess of $1,000.00 please contact us online or call us at (914) 347-2300.
Note: All collection matters are handled through our Westchester office.
The Debt Collection Process In A Nutshell
Commonly Asked Questions
New York State Professions (Licensing)
Columbia Law List
Commercial Law League of America
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act